To support the use of nanotechnology tools to develop innovative, new technologies, the Northwest Nanotechnology Infrastructure (NNI) is offering grants for work to be conducted in our fabrication or characterization facilities. These grants are designed to help users build and characterize prototypes, obtain preliminary results and conduct proof of concept studies.
Applications for NNI Seed Grants are closed for 2023-24. Applications for 2024-25 support will open in Spring 2024.
This program is open to new, first-time users of the Washington Nanofabrication Facility (WNF) or Molecular Analysis Facility (MAF) from both inside and outside the University of Washington. New faculty and postdoctoral scholars, especially non-traditional users of micro/nanotechnology and advanced manufacturing (e.g. medicine, clean energy and geology) are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be based at an academic institution.
- Support is not intended to supplement or extend an ongoing funded research project.
- Awards are based on the quality of the research being proposed and are not intended to serve as bridge funding when external sources of research support have been lost.
- Funds can be applied to on-site work or remote work to be carried out by facility staff. They cannot be applied towards travel expenses.
- Grants must be used between May 1, 2023 – April 30, 2024 or they are forfeited.
- Awardees must sign a standard Use of Facility Agreement prior to beginning their project in the lab.
Projects will be selected based upon a) novelty, b) need for access to state-of-art instrumentation, and c) potential impact.
Selected projects will receive up to $10,000 in laboratory/equipment time to be used at either the Washington Nanofabrication Facility or the Molecular Analysis Facility. Grant amounts will be based on the number of hours proposed for the project and the normal fee structure used to reserve equipment at UW NNI facilities.
**Interested applicants must reach out to facility staff as to the feasibility of your proposal prior to submitting.**